Friday, April 9, 2010

Nov 09 Trip to see "A Steady Rain" in NYC

My sister Jan and I took a trip to see the broadway play "A Steady Rain " in NYC - which was my first to trip to New York and we had an amazing trip!!!!!

Top five list of things we did in New York:

1. Staying w/ a family friend Lauren while we were there at her amazing apartment and getting to know her better while catching up w/ my sister Jan.
2. See Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig from the second row for 2 hours!!!
3. See Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig from the second row for 2 hours!!!
4. See Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig from the second row for 2 hours!!!
5. Central Park and the Rockefeller Center and Time Square and just everything we could fit into 2 days. I loved being able to walk everywhere and see so much:)



The first night we arrived at JFK and took a cab to Lauren's apt on the upper west side. She is two blocks from Central Park and has a view of the Chrysler tower and the Empire State Building. We went to a nice Italian dinner w/ her and totally crashed to wake up and walk all day the next day. Both nights I thought we might check out Manhattan's night life - but it was just so relaxing sitting in her apt and looking out her windows at the city - I'm such an old fogey:)
Oh - and waking up to GOOD coffee and just looking out the windows - such a good girl's weekend. The building above was her apt building. It even had elevator operators - which I thought was very cool.


We started out our first full day walking through Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and then continuing on through Central Park.

I thought the dog walkers meeting for coffee at the Mall was pretty funny.





We left Central Park and checked out 5th and Madison Ave - everything from Saks ON Fifth Ave to the Apple store under the ground to Trump tower and of course a visit the FAO Schwarz where I took the picture below for Britain to see a Barbie fashion show.



Then on to Rockefeller center where things started to get very festive as they were setting up for Christmas. Most of the storefronts had their windows covered up getting ready for their unveiling.



By mostly luck we made it to the Top of the Rock tour just as the sun was beginning to set and just had fantastic views of Manhattan.



The Empire State building just as they were turning on its lights.









Yes - I took a lot of pictures but it was just amazing being up there.



Then we left and went to Times Square.

Not the best picture - but I think the only proof I have that we were there together.



After that we walked all the way home zigzagging through the city and just enjoying the sights.

The next morning we took a subway South and started off at Ground Zero.



Then on to Battery Park for a little glimpse of the Statue of Liberty.

A quick swing by the Brooklyn Bridge - we did not take the time to walk across - but maybe next time.

And then on to Wall Street.

And the New York Stock Exchange

I thought this was pretty cool - this is Federal Hall were George Washington was inaugurated as our 1st President.





And of course a quick walk through China town and Canal St. (of which I have no pictures) And then the flatiron building - it was a pretty full day followed by seeing our play that night.


We enjoyed getting dressed up - riding the subway - and then the show was pretty amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. At the end Jackman and Craig came out of character to raise money for a charity and we got to enjoy watching them engage the crowd while auctioning off their wifebeaters. Neither Jan or I figured our husbands would forgive us for spending $5000 to go backstage and watch them take off their shirts - but we THOUGHT about it:)



3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a FUN girls trip! I love NYC... it's surreal the first time you step out in Time's Square, huh?! I'm hoping to go this fall w/ my sis to celebrate her 30th bday!! :)

KandD said...

Crazy good pictures...what kind of camera do you have? or are you just a great photographer?

And I am super jealous of your Broadway experience!! yummy!

HMPhillips said...

What a sweet trip! Super jealous!!!