Thursday, December 2, 2010

Rocky Mountain National Park

So we started out at the visitor center and got Ty and Britain their - study to become a Jr. Ranger books. It was a very beautiful day and most of the time we didn't need jackets. I played a little trick on the kids that my dad did on top of Pike's Peak when I was little. I bet them that they couldn't run all the way to the visitor center and of course they took off. W/in about 10 seconds my children were gasping for breath - but they did make it to the visitor center. I guess 12,000 ft is easier to run in than 14,000 ft. Next trip I'll have to take them to Pike's Peak.


She was a two eyed, one horned - flying purple people eater


The kids thought being above tree line was pretty cool - I told Ty when he learns to ski better he can ski above tree line.


We saw several deer - here's a buck w/ his velvet still on



Ty and Britain were quite proud of their hiking skills
And rock climbing skills
But the ability to pose in cold windy air still needs a little work
Britain is a little better at it than Ty





After a wonderful picnic lunch we did a little creek / waterfall exploring.

I love this series of shots - it was fun watching them ponder how to cross the top of the waterfall

What I don't have is a picture of Ty getting wet as he crossed due to me and Celia doing a little exploring ourselves




Celia was not impressed - or maybe this is what she thinks of the dummy behind her who stripped down to his boxers to walk behind the freezing cold waterfall:)



Hey daddy - there's a dummy playing in the waterfall down there - come see





















Then we made it back to the visitor center where we discovered that the rangers take this quite seriously. I expected him to hand over the Jr. Ranger badges and go on his way - but he was very disappointed that the kids had not filled out their books - he was actually quite nice and spent about 25 minutes going through the books w/ them and teaching them.
I was quite nervous when he asked them both what we should never do to wildlife (after I caught them feeding the chipmunks at lunch) - but they were smart to enough to not mention that.

And then they took their oath

Only for the devoted Polk fans - its Ty and Britain saying their pledge.








And now are Jr. Park Rangers at Rocky Mountain National Park!!!!!!!!!!!


Sadly the next day we had to fly home
We loved our cabin - it had everything we needed and was very nice. For those friends of our out there that aren't quite so outdoorsy - for $40 extra dollars a night you can get the vacation home which comes w/ TV and satellite coverage!!!!

No comments: